Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WetWebMedia Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default White fuzzy worm - What is it?

I have noticed lately a white 'fuzzy' worm in my tank or several of them. They look almost like little catepillars. I am not sure what they hitchhiked in on as I haven't made any additions to my tank in the last several months. They seem to be multiplying though. I see them every once in a while but when I feed they come out from the rock in several places.

What are these? Are they a problem and can they take over a tank? I tried to take a pic but did not come out. Would have to catch one and try a pic that way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: White fuzzy worm - What is it?

Hmm it kind of sounds like a bristle worm. Can you take a picture of it?
    Lyvea
    WWM Search: link

3. Default Re: White fuzzy worm - What is it?

I tried but it did not come out well. I can grab one out the tank and take a pic. Is there a pic on here of a bristle worm?

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It does sound a bit like a bristleworm, as long as you mean the white color is coming from the legs, not the body of the worm itself. Here are a couple of photos of bristleworms:

Let us know if what you have doesn't look like anything above!

-Lynn

5. Default Re: White fuzzy worm - What is it?

That is exactly it. Sorry I looked but couldn't find a photo like what you pasted above. I did some reading on your forum about possible solutions. While I have seen they don't necessarily cause an issue I believe I have too many. They come out of everywhere when I feed. I checked at the LFS and they have a small 6 line wrasse that I read on here will help. They also recommended getting a small coke bottle, putting food in and trapping them. I saw a post like this on this forum only using a whiffle ball.

Now I get to go worm hunting!

Yep, bristleworms are usually beneficial little critters, but their numbers can sometimes get out of hand. Most of the time it's due to overfeeding. Once you cut back, the population will fall back to normal levels. At that point, you may still see some poking out when you feed the tank, but they won't be coming out of the woodwork!

-Lynn

7. Default Re: White fuzzy worm - What is it?

Thanks Lynn. My experiment did not work with catching the worms. What I tried was putting a plastic water bottle with some food on the bottom and sunk it to the bottom. I leaned it back a little on its side and propped it up against a rock. (thinking they would just crawl out and into the bottle). Well I did catch 3 hermit crabs but no worms. So what was my design flaw?

I know you say the bristle worms are beneficial but I would like to thin them out just a little. Then work on not overfeeding. Plus I got the 6 line wrasse yesterday to hopefully help now as well.

What do you think?

Yep, bottle traps are usually most successful at catching hermits! There's another product out there though, by Coralife that may work. It looks like a green plastic test tube (it might be small enough to keep the hermits out - maybe?). Here's a link with reviews: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...550~tab~4.html
    The thing is, though, I've never used it, so I couldn't tell you either way how good it really is. One thing I read in the reviews is that the suckers can get back out, so that's not so great.

The good news is that the six-line should help. There are other critters that supposedly dine on bristleworms as well, but they aren't the best tankmates. Arrow crabs and Coral Banded Shrimps are two right off the bat that come to mind. Both of those will kill any other shrimps, hermits, etc, in the tank though. Dottybacks (Pseudochromis) such as Pseudochromis paccagnellae (the one that looks like a Royal Gramma - half pinkish-purple/half yellow)and Pseudochromis sankeyi (black and white stripes running the length of the fish) supposedly *love* to eat bristleworms, but they're not the most friendly of fishes. They can become downright snarky. Six-lines can go either way. I had one that was the best fish ever but another that was a holy terror. It just depends on the individual and what else you have in the tank with it. Hopefully yours will be just fine though and the combination of that and cutting back on feeding should do the trick. Good luck and let us know it all turns out for you!

-Lynn

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information