Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WetWebMedia Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Rhinogobius Wui and Sewellia Lineolata

Hello all

Just recently joined up on the forum but have been reading and using WWM for a while now.

Just wanted to pick some brains about the feeding of Rhinogobius Wui and also Sewellia Lineolata.

Currently feeding frozen foods in the way of Daphnia, B/Worms and White Mos. Larvae to these little fellas but am slightly concerned that I don't see the Sewellia actually feeding. Mind you, they have only been in my tank for a week now and seem to be quite shy.

Any advice on what else I can give to ensure both species get a good and varied diet greatfully received.

Many thanks

WOW those are some nice fish! Sorry I can't relate to the feeding portion, but I am sure someone will.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
    if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the stuff that I just did...

Thanks J-P for the welcome.

They are a lovely fish; both species. The Rhino's are feeding well but just a little concerned the Sewellia are missing out as the Rhino's are little darts in the tank !!!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum! I've never kept either but that hillstream loach is a gorgeous fish! Can we see pics of yours?

Blog Entries

Hey there,
    I've never kept either of those myself, but I picked up this info on feeding the loach from seriouslyfish.com:

Much of the natural diet is composed of benthic algae plus associated micro-organisms although insect larvae are also taken opportunistically. In captivity it will accept good-quality dried foods and meatier items like live or frozen bloodworm but may suffer internal problems if the diet contains excessive protein. Home-made foods using a mixture of natural ingredients bound with gelatin are very useful since they can be tailored to contain a high proportion of fresh vegetables, Spirulina and similar ingredients. Sewellia spp. are generally quite bold feeders and unlike many balitorids will happily leave solid, rocky surfaces to forage on the substrate.

However for long-term success it's recommended to provide a mature aquarium with a plentiful supply of algae-covered rocks and other surfaces. If unable to grow sufficient algae in the main tank or you have a community containing numerous herbivorous fishes which consume what's available quickly it may be necessary to maintain a separate tank in which to grow algae on rocks and switch them with those in the main tank on a cyclical basis. Such a 'nursery' doesn't have to be very large, requires only strong lighting and in sunny climates can be kept outdoors. Algal type is also important with diatoms, green varieties and even cyanobacteria (blue-green 'algae') preferred to tougher forms such as rhodophytic 'black brush' algae.

Balitorids are often seen on sale in an emaciated state which can be difficult to correct. A good dealer will have done something about this prior to sale but if you decide to take a chance with severely weakened specimens they'll initially require a continual, easily-obtainable source of suitable foods in the absence of competitors if they're to recover.
    Lyvea
    WWM Search: link

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley000 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I've never kept either but that hillstream loach is a gorgeous fish! Can we see pics of yours?
    Hi Mutley and thanks for the welcome also.

I've not taken any pictures of the Loaches as yet but I have a couple of the Rhino's. The Seweilla are as lovely in the flesh as the photos though; the markings are truly stunning !!IMG_2649.jpg

Thanks Lyvea; that's the info I've also read. I've recently moved quite a large fern into the tank which is covered in algae so that should hopefully sustain them on that front until the pebbles get covered. Until a month ago, the tank housed a Betta Splendens and he was moved into another tank of his own; never seemed to have a lot of algae of any description in there really but I should be able to cultivate some for the Sewellia.

Much obliged.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information